Jackson Township PA
Jackson Township, a European settlement, dates back to the mid-1700's when German farmers, fleeing the turmoil of their homeland, immigrated to Pennsylvania’s Codorus Valley. These industrious Germans immediately began farming the rich soils of the area. Farming provided the basis for the initial growth and continues to be an important factor in the local economy. In addition to farming, the iron ore industry was very successful by 1763. By 1840 thousands of tons of ore were shipped annually from Jackson Township. The early development of the iron industry made possible the construction of the Monocacy Road around 1739. This road roughly followed a pre-existing Indian path known as the Monocacy Trail which ran through the forests of southern Pennsylvania. The village of Nashville was developed primarily because of the commerce associated with this road now known as Route 116.
Jackson Township was originally part of the Paradise Township (established in 1747) which was laid out by surveyor Joseph Pidgeon. In 1853, a group of residents petitioned the York County Court of Quarter Sessions to divide the township of Paradise. After review of the request the Commission consisting of George Eichelberger, Fredrick Sultzbach and John Brillinger found that a division was “proper and necessary” and proceeded to survey a new township dividing line between the townships. November 1853, Judge Robert J. Fisher decreed that the new Township shall be called Jackson Township. Like many municipalities which formed at this time, Jackson Township was named for Andrew Jackson, hero of the Battle of New Orleans and seventh president of the United States.
Jackson Township PA Properties
The data relating to real estate for sale on this website appears in part through the BRIGHT Internet Data Exchange program, a voluntary cooperative exchange of property listing data between licensed real estate brokerage firms in which Coldwell Banker Realty participates, and is provided by BRIGHT through a licensing agreement. The information provided by this website is for the personal, non-commercial use of consumers and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Coldwell Banker Realty are marked with the IDX icon and detailed information about each listing includes the name of the listing broker.
©2021 BRIGHT, All Rights Reserved. Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may no longer be available because they are under contract, have Closed or are no longer being offered for sale.
Data last updated: Sep 20, 2021 2:07:pm.