Spring Grove PA

The site of Spring Grove was laid out in 1747 on the banks of Codorus Creek, midway between York and Hanover, by a surveyor for the Penns. Its growth since that time falls into two periods, each lasting approximately 100 years. The first witnessed development of the borough as an iron-making center. The second, which extends to the present day, is as a papermaking center. The businesses of both periods have relied on certain natural resources of the area.

Originally, Spring Grove was a part of Paradise Township and was contained within the boundaries of Lancaster County. York County was formed in 1749 and Jackson Township, including Spring Grove, in 1853. The residents of the community petitioned the County Court in 1882 for incorporation as a borough, and in August of that year their petition was granted. Since that time, the borough has grown in area as a result of annexation of the surrounding land, the largest annexation having taken place in 1953.

In the 1770s, attracted by the presence of water, iron ore and wood for charcoal in the Pigeon Hills, an iron manufacturer established a forge at "Spring Forge". It is known as Spring Grove. The early German and English woodchoppers who flocked to this first Pennsylvania iron industry west of the Susquehanna River were the forebears of today's community. By the mid-19th century, the manufacturing of iron had grown to a point where almost 200 short tons (180,000 kg) of iron bar were produced locally each year.

By 1851, however, the iron business had been suspended, and its buildings were converted to the manufacturing of paper. Once again local resources, wood and water, were largely responsible for the location of this industry in the Spring Grove area. Thirteen years later, the plant was purchased by P. H. Glatfelter for $14,000.

Other basic industries, such as brick-making and the manufacture of explosives, have from time to time established themselves in the borough. None, however, have remained as long nor have been as successful as the paper mill. Since 1865, the growth of the borough has reflected growth of the Glatfelter Paper Mill.

The Spring Grove Borough Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

BrightMLS

The data relating to real estate for sale on this website appears in part through the BRIGHT Internet Data Exchange program, a voluntary cooperative exchange of property listing data between licensed real estate brokerage firms in which Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage participates, and is provided by BRIGHT through a licensing agreement. The information provided by this website is for the personal, non-commercial use of consumers and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage are marked with the IDX icon and detailed information about each listing includes the name of the listing broker.
Ā©2021 BRIGHT, All Rights Reserved. Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may no longer be available because they are under contract, have Closed or are no longer being offered for sale.
Data last updated: Apr 19, 2021 1:32:pm.