Windsor Township PA
Windsor Township was originally a part of Hellam Township, which was the original township of York County laid out by authority of the Provincial court at Lancaster in 1739. Windsor remained a part of Hellam Township until 1753 when a petition was presented to the court at York, signed by John Wright, Jr. asking that “Hallam Township be divided by a line on Stony Ridge, running across the valley to the next ridge of hills on the south side of Grist (Kreutz) Creek Valley, and also eastward along the last named ridge to the river Susquehanna.” This new township, York, included the current townships of Windsor, Lower Windsor, York and a portion of Spring Garden. Five years later, Windsor Township (which included Lower Windsor Township) formed out of York Township.
In April 1758, the following petition was presented at the April session of court: “We, your humble petitioners, hereby state that when the Townships of York and Hallam were in one, a division line was obtained which did not prove convenient or satisfactory; therefore we request that commissioners be appointed by your worshipfuls to lay off the new township.” The presiding justice, Thomas Armor, then appointed John Shultz, John Schyrack, Christian Shank and Michael Bart, to view and run the boundary line which was as follows:
- Beginning at the plantation of Peter Peterman, thence with the road to David Hunter’s, thence with the same to Shrewsbury Township (now Springfield and Hopewell), thence with the same township and the township of Chanceford to the Susquehanna, and up the same to Hallam Township, thence along the middle of that ridge of hills to Peter Peterman’s plantation and place of beginning, which last described township is to be called by the name of Windsor.
The name Windsor is attributed to Thomas Armor who was born in Windsor, England and was a large landowner, in addition to being the presiding justice at the creation of the township.
Windsor Township PA Properties
The data relating to real estate for sale on this website appears in part through the BRIGHT Internet Data Exchange program, a voluntary cooperative exchange of property listing data between licensed real estate brokerage firms in which Coldwell Banker Realty participates, and is provided by BRIGHT through a licensing agreement. The information provided by this website is for the personal, non-commercial use of consumers and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Coldwell Banker Realty are marked with the IDX icon and detailed information about each listing includes the name of the listing broker.
©2021 BRIGHT, All Rights Reserved. Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may no longer be available because they are under contract, have Closed or are no longer being offered for sale.
Data last updated: Sep 20, 2021 2:07:pm.